The Project Reality Mod team announced today that they are releasing the 0.4 version of their mod for Battlefield 2 on Saturday, November 11, 2006. Here's their release:
We've been toiling away on v0.4. We're putting together the "release candidate" build in the next day or so, then running that through some final testing before releasing on Saturday, November 11th.
As posted on our discussion forums, this will be our "biggyest" release to date. By that I mean there's more content and game play changes in this release than in any prior release. But there's a few things that are a little sloppy that we'll get to with a v0.41 update.
Here's a few screenshots from "Operation Ghost Train" showing off the British Troops in Woodland camo.
And here's a little game play tip: On Operation Ghost Train in the tunnel there is a flag in a service room. The flag is behind some doors that can be breached with C4. That's not the tip!
After you secure the flag you will want to repair the doors so the enemy also has to get some C4 into the area to breach the doors and cap the flag. That's not the tip either!
The tip is… don't lock yourself into the room by repairing the doors from the inside
They have some great looking screenshots on their site showing British Troops in woodland camo which can be found here: Project Reality Mod
The Sir. Community has just announced that the newest version of the wildly popular Battleracer mod has been released. Dubbed 1.29, this version more than doubles the number of available tracks to race on and fixes some minor quirks present in older releases. Among the new features in this release are:
NEW TRACKS: � Kubra Dam – 2 Circuit � Dragon Valley – 3 Circuit, 1 Sprint � Jalalabad – 3 Circuit � Urban Speedway (custom map) – 1 Circuit � Wake Island – 1 Sprint � Songhua Stalemate – 1 Sprint
That's 12 new tracks, bumping up the grand total in Battleracer to 22! And of course all your lap and race times are counted and sent to the one-of-a-kind +R Central where you can check your global points, see who holds the world records, and more.
� Sprint gamemode: A race from point A to B � New Paratrooper Jeep available in Kubra � Reset Car function � A myriad of anti-smacktard functions � Bug fixes in the code
Learn more and find download mirrors at the Battleracer website.
In the past few days, several mods have called it quits for Battlefield 2. They include the promising Rise of Kobol mod based on Battlestar Galactica and the singleplayer/COOP mod, Allied Intent.
In related news, Electronic Art's Marketing department sensing a downward trend in free, fresh, fun content announced the Modlight program for BF2 on the new official BF2142 website.
"Every few weeks we will be reviewing a different mod and inviting all Battlefield Players to join us in gaming sessions on the "ModLight Community Servers" that will be hosted after each review."
A quick check of the Official BF2 website shows no mention of this ingenious new marketing ploy, err community support program aimed at bolstering the dieing, err growth challenged Battlefield Community.
EA has released the 1.4 Patch for Battlefield 2. Info on the patch and some mirrors are below.
1.4 Patch – New content
* New level: Road to Jalalabad (Conquest 16-32-64, Singleplayer, Co-op) * New Server Option: No Vehicles mode
1.4 Patch – Fix List Front End:
* Front end – Fix server browser issues with updating info * Front End – Multiplayer & Co-op – Players on server list can include Bots instead of human players * Multiplayer Internet Server maps size filter not working * Fixed an issue in the front end where pressing tab twice in the IP window would cause the cursor to skip to wrong box
* Increased server stability * All levels – Co-op – Crash after reviving player without a kit- 1st attempt Server – Linux 32 Dedicated – Server crashes when trying to rotate maps in Special Forces Co-op Mode (fixed on SUSE only. Still present in Red Hat and Fedora) * Adjust the minimum number of players to start the round.The new values for 16, 32 and 64 players are 6, 6 and 8 respectively. * Re-enable unlocks on unranked servers * Ranked server forces unlocks i.e. have to have unlocks selected. * Coop – Local Server – If Server Host is kicked and banned although they do not actually get kicked, no other players may join the server after that point. * Fixed a dedicated server crash which was occurring when the user held "CTRL" and "SHIFT" while selecting a map * Fixed a crash which would occur when c4 was placed on a flag pole and the server rotated maps * Vehicle drop crash related bug (missing icon) * Co-Op bot console commands do not function on local servers.
Client / Gameplay:
* Red/Blue nametag bug –Fix to the issue where players would show up with the wrong color name tag * Introduced a delay from proning to standing to help reduce exploiting * Adjusted C4 to make throwing more difficult * Fixed the issue where a red distance marker appears on the ground * Fixed the issue that caused players arms to become invisible after switching weapons when using throwable items * Made adjustments to reduce the damage taken by vehicles when driving * Adjusted the tire material on the muscle car to reduce the issue with this vehicle taking too much damage. * Commander options no longer available whilst dead. * Fixed the issue with a spawn point showing up as selected when a player has spawned in during preview round * Fixed the issue that would cause infantry players to be revived with no kit. * Fixed several rare graphics crashes. * Fixed issue with players crashing while clicking "Join Game" in the front end * Car-Drop: Made adjustments to the car drop feature to prevent players from exploiting into buildings. * Discovered and repaired an issue tied to projectiles which would sometimes allow tanks to fire two shells, support to fire multiple rounds, and other issues (all maps). * Fixed bug where after 2 rounds on the same map, the top player stars are awarded to the wrong people in the menu * Transport Helicopters – Increased the armor of all transport helicopters
Much like the Veterans Administration, EA has decided that they need to “take care of” their loyal Battlefield fanbase. The result: The Battlefield Veterans Program where;
As a Battlefield 2 player you have qualified for Veteran status in Battlefield 2142. This entitles you to reserve your Battlefield 2 soldier name before Battlefield 2142 hits the shelves, making that name unavailable for anyone else to take. You can claim only one soldier name for Battlefield 2142, no matter how many soldier names you have tied to your EA account. You can also choose any new name not already in use for Battlefield 2.
I would give you more information, but I cant get into the website to find out. The info that we do have is courtesy of PlanetBattlefield
The rumor going round the net is there was a last minute bug found and they pulled the release to take care of it and test before releasing to the public. I can live with that. I would rather it be fixed now than to wait months for the fix to be released.
This was posted at Planet Battlefield earlier today:
BF2 1.4 Patch 16:29 PST | Stealth97 We have been informed that the 1.4 Patch will be released tomorrow (August 15th) around 1pm EST/6pm GMT by various people. So stay tuned for download links and the patch notes as they become available.
Some Battlefield 2 Mod release information is coming out this week. First off, Operation PeaceKeeper has announced that they will be releasing version 0.15 of their Eastern European based mod on August 11, 2006. This information is at the very end of the video that was posted to show off in game action.
Second, the Point Of Existance mod has posted an update that should make its fans happy. Seems they are very close to releasing. They dont give a date, but did say the following:
The team reached a milestone this weekend with releasing POE:2 into Release Candidate status to our testers. To assist us with making sure the build is stable before we release to the public we have included 151 stress testers. The stress testers consist of the Forgotten Hope Development Team and Testers, friends of our developers & testers, and Battlefield:2 community representatives from the multiple websites worldwide.
Ive been thinking about lately about BF2142. I do that from time to time, but its not what you think. I am not talking about the game. I am talking about the name. You see, BF2142 does not have a good ring to it. Its almost too complicated. Here is how I see it.
First, we had Battlefield 1942. We shortened it to BF42. Easy enough. Then came Battlefield Vietnam. Again, we shortened it to BFV. Smooth and rolls off the tongue. Next, EA released the third game in the Battlefield Franchise, Battlefield 2. (Dont ask) This became BF2. So far, so good. The next game in the series is called Battlefield 2142. So what does it become when abbreviated? BF twenty-one-forty-two. Say that fast 10 times while holding your tongue. Ouch!
I have a proposal. Its quite silly actually, but I think it would give the next game in the Battlefield franchise a nice and easy name. My proposal is to abbreviate the name to BFBJ. I know what you are thinking. It reminds you of a hummer from that hot girl who only wants to be your friend.
How about this? Battlefield BlackJack aka BFBJ aka BF21. I like the name BF BlackJack better than BF21. Then again, Battlefield 2142 is kind of BF2.1. Hey, maybe we should call it BF2.1?
So, which one do you like? BFBJ or BF2.1?
Atomm Nihilo runs GamersRadio.com and has a Love/Hate relationship with EA and Battlefield that some would say borders on the edge of addiction.
We are beginning the first phase of our 1.4 patch beta testing! This initial phase of testing will only include a small number of servers whose focus is to ensure stability in a live environment. At the completion of this phase we will be rapidly expanding the number of servers hosted to allow everyone an opportunity to review this latest patch. I would like to stress that everyone who downloads the beta files should take the time to read the included text file so that you can properly safeguard your current BF2 install.
Also please note that EA Customer Service can not provide any support for issues related to the Beta Patch. I encourage everyone to log into the EA Battlefield forums and participate on the 1.4 Patch Beta discussions that will cover both 1.4 issues, tuning changes, and new features.
We have up threads for issues and gameplay feedback, please make sure you post in the right one once they are unlocked.
A few of the servers hosted will be set to the new â€˜No Vehiclesâ€™ server setting that will allow players to focus on infantry vs infantry combat on all BF2 and Special Forces Maps. Other servers will include the new â€˜Road to Jalalabadâ€™ map which will allow US and MEC forces to engage in a new urban warfare environment! Everyone here at EA and DICE look forward to working with the community to ensure this next patch is a solid step forward for the Battlefield Franchise.
-The Battlefield Team
The last paragraph is particularly interesting imo. Download links can be found in the link above. This has only been out a short time, so feedback is minimal so far.
Discuss and provide feedback here in the Gamers Radio Forums.
The rumors that have been flying around the message boards seem to have been true. DICE is working on a new patch that will include a new map as well as the fixes/changes/revisions to the game. From the looks of it, they are addressing many of the community concerns with the game at this point. Here is the update from the Battlefield 2 site:
The launch of Battlefield 2: Armored Fury has started off with great success, the maps have been great and the new scout choppers are introducing a whole new style of game play. Not surprisingly, there has been a lot of support and approval from the American community. Playing in Alaska, fields and Operation Road Rage make these maps a great change up in play. If not already, I suggest joining in the fun; it?s available for download at http://downloader.ea.com/products/en_US/bf2armor.
We recognize that this has been a very trying time for everyone who enjoys Battlefield 2 and are putting forth every effort to improve upon the issues that are causing some players frustration. The DICE team has been reviewing player feedback gathered from forums, email, and the ranker server providers in an effort to provide the best possible step forward from 1.3. While this work has been highly focused on bug fixing the team has also managed to put some work towards new content.
Some groups have noticed the testing of a new map ?Road to Jalalabad? being run on our test servers. This map will be included in our next patch release and is not part of a new booster pack. Some of the items on the change list for this next step are:
* Reversion: Allowing unlocks on unranked servers * Fix/Reversion: We fixed the issue preventing mod teams from running multiple game modes in one map list. * Tuning: We have lowered the number of players needed to start a ranked game. * Tuning: We have made some modifications to the vehicle drop feature introduced in 1.3. These changes should reduce the overall impact of “cartillery” on game play. * Crash Fix: We have located and fixed a crash connected to 1.3.
These are only a small portion of the fixes being worked on for our next step. We would also like to announce that we will be holding an Open Beta in early July for this next patch. We will have public servers hosted, Beta files available on mirror sites, and specific threads for feedback during this Beta period hosted on the EA forums.
As always keep your eyes on this space for all the latest Battlefield News.
THANKS very much to all of you for your patience while we sorted out some issues with PRMM 0.31.
NOTE: This requires BF2 1.3 and PRMM 0.30 installed.
– Removed ability to drop vehicles until we make some PR changes to it – Disabled the PR Squad Hopping penalty system. The BF2 1.3 penalty system is used instead. – Reduced volume and sound radius of SLAM timer beeps – Removed Arty and Supply Drop capabilities from the Squad Leader map popup menu. These are now only available through the Squad Leader Comm Rose. – Removed healing abilites from Supply Crates. You must now find a Medic to get healed. – Added back in Vehicle Resupply capabilities to Supply Crates. – Boosted Ammo Kit reloading speed by 50%. – Reduced initial grenade toss delay by about 70%. – Reduced Grenade Reloading delay to 4 seconds from 8 seconds in 0.30.